Good ol’ Sockets← Back to asset list
Buy on Asset Store
Good ol’ Sockets is a drop-in substitute for
System.Net.Sockets namespace subset. It is designed to make it possible for Unity developers to use sockets on Android and iOS platforms without a Pro license. It also includes an automatic patcher tool that allows to convert popular assets (such as Photon Networking, Tasharen Networking, UniWeb and others) in a single click!
Good ol’ Sockets aim to replicate the API of .NET sockets as close as possible. What this means for you is that you can use pretty much any code that uses
System.Net.Sockets, including MSDN and hundreds of tutorials over the Web. Two simple commented demo scenes are also included.
Note: Good Ol’ Sockets is a bit slower than native Unity implementation, and does not implements the whole
System.Net namespaces. However, this won’t affect most applications, as sockets are rarely the bottleneck, and the chosen API subset is sufficient for almost any needs.
- Full support for Unity 4.x – 5.x versions.
- Allows to use .NET sockets on Android & iOS without the need for Pro license.
- Allows to run a lot of popular assets, such as Tasharen Network, Photon Networking Free, UniWeb, BestHTTP (Basic and Pro) and many others.
- Automatic patcher tool that detects and fixes socket usage in scripts and .dll.
- Easiest possible code porting – just change the namespace and you’re done!
- Replicates the .NET sockets API to the tiniest details.
Download PDF documentation
Forum discussion thread